Welcome to the future of coffee. Cometeer features the best beans from world-class roasters, brewed better through science, and frozen in a peak-state of coffee deliciousness. Delivered in a tiny recyclable capsule, all you have to do is melt it with hot water (or ice water, or oat milk if you’re fancy). Think pour over quality, pajama convenience.
We’re a technology-driven company, looking to revolutionize the $400+ billion global coffee market. Our new-format coffee capsule – perfected over years of investment and research – delivers the quality of specialty coffee in a uniquely convenient format. Our capsules are shipped straight to your door frozen; all you need to do is peel back the lid, add water or milk, and enjoy (no machine required).
Our coffee has received rave reviews from celebrities (including David Chang, Aaron Paul, and Adam Levine), coffee aficionados, and entrepreneurial leaders alike. We’ve built a 70,000 square foot state-of-the-art production facility in Gloucester, MA that leverages custom-built machines, a proprietary brew science, and novel flash-freeze technology that preserves coffee freshness like never before. We are now beginning to scale our business across multiple channels, from direct-to-consumer to office, retail, wholesale, online delivery, and more.
Our world-class team includes alums from Tesla, Palantir, Oscar Insurance, Blue Bottle, Wayfair, and Apple. We’ve also raised over $100 million in venture capital from leading investors, including D1 Capital, Greycroft, Elephant Ventures, Addition and Avenir.
We're looking for an experienced Assistant Controller to help build out our company’s accounting function. This includes managing our month-end close process, improving the speed and accuracy of our financial reporting, designing spend processes and controls, overseeing A/P and Treasury, and working closely as a finance business partner with the rest of the organization.
This role is remote-first, but with a strong preference for employees based in the Boston or New York City Metro areas.
What you'll do:
- Build out and oversee our accounting operations, including direct supervision of our 5+ member contract accounting staff
- Oversee our month-end close process from end-to-end, helping to close the books accurately and on-time
- Develop and document business processes, protocols, and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Manage other key accounting functions, including A/P, A/R, and treasury
- Coordinate and oversee annual audits and tax filings
- Support management with financial information to assist in cross functional decision-making. Serve as a finance business partner to department heads.
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings. Research tax credits and other government incentives.
- Research and resolve accounting and procurement issues in accordance with GAAP
Who you are:
- 7-12 years of progressive experience in accounting roles - ideally with at least a few years of experience at a Big 4 accounting firm and a few years at a start-up / growth stage company
- Master’s degree in accounting or finance and CPA strongly preferred
- Versatile and diverse accounting expertise; ability to work across accounting functions
- Strong treasury experience with ability to oversee inflows, outflows, and optimal use of cash
- Experience in complex, fast-paced, and deadline-driven environments
- Analytical skills and ability to resolve complex accounting issues in a timely manner
- Familiar and comfortable with working in a small, start-up environment, and adaptable to working with all levels of the organization
- Ready to go above & beyond to help the team; open to a somewhat flexible schedule
- Proficient in QuickBooks and expert in Microsoft Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point
- Love for Coffee - added plus!
Cometeer is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.